Easy DIY Kids Costumes for Halloween
Top kids Halloween costume ideas
Trick of the year: Make them yourself
Halloween costume season is here again, and you're wondering what to don your little ones in this time around. Which is why we've compiled easy Halloween costume ideas that you can scrap together in no time for your kids. Whether dressing up one, or two or three, we've got ideas that are both timeless and pop culture-esque; ones that will make your friends laugh or your parents swoon. So dress them up, trick or treat, and go knock the socks off the neighborhood with these kids Halloween costume ideas.
Hey Members: Party like there’s no tomorrow! Dive into your exclusive member perks now.
Princess Bride: Buttercup & Westley
This beloved quest for love and rescuing the damsel is sure to satisfy any fairy tale hopes this Halloween. And if your kids contest or have other ideas, we can cross our fingers that eventually they’ll agree happily, and end with a clever, “As you wish.”
- Black kids outfit
- Adult black long sleeve shirt
- Black fabric
- Black bandana
- Black face mask
- Black duct tape
- Black string
- Black gloves
- Black boots
- Blonde mustache
- Fold the sleeves of black polo shirt in to create a triangular cuff. Cut the sleeves from an oversized black long sleeve shirt. Safety pin sleeves inside the shirt’s short sleeves.
- Cut a piece of fabric into a long rectangle, long enough to wrap twice around the waist for the sash belt.
- Secure string to the buttons and buttonholes of polo.
- Add cuffs to the top of boots with duct tape.
- Top things off with bandana, gloves, face mask, and blonde mustache.
- Cut out a long piece of red ribbon to create the belt.
- Decorate belt with strips of gold duct tape.
Hello, yellow brick road and get ready for your miniature rockstar to teach everyone why they call it the blues. Note: This one may go breaking hearts. And, it’s very minimal effort for a dreamboat result.
- Purple top
- White bottom
- Thick white cardstock or cardboard
- Colored or white feathers
- Stick-on rhinestones
- Optional, but will dress your child as your very own Rocket Man
- ~Baby sunglasses
- ~Baby keyboard
- Hot glue or double sided fabric tape
- Sketch an outline for wings on cardstock or cardboard. Cut wings out.
- Attach feathers to wings using hot glue or double sided fabric tape.
- Add stick-on rhinestones to the outfit and headband.
- Attach wings to bodysuit using double sided fabric tape or safety pins.
Pro Tip: If you’re looking mainly for the photo opp, sit your baby in a high chair or bouncer and secure the wings to the back of the chair. This way, no wings get clipped, and you get your photo.
Since Halloween is full of enough candy, why not dress your mini up as the Cookie Monster? This way, they’re fully prepped to defend their sweets, since it comes entirely natural to them in costume.
- Blue outfit
- (2) 1"-1.5" foam balls
- Black permanent marker
- Dark colored felt
- Cookie… we’d rec a toy cookie if you want it to last longer than 10 minutes.
Pro Tip: Attach the toy cookie to outfit with a clip… and give your little cookie monster one to munch on for the trouble you’re putting them through.
- Thread and needle or fabric tape and safety pins
- Hot glue gun
- Cut out two circles from the felt 3/4" across.
- Stitch the felt to the top of the hood with thread and needle, an inch apart. This is where the foam balls will stick.
- Heat up your hot glue gun. Apply a small amount of hot glue on top of each felt piece. Quickly stick a foam ball on top of each spot of glue.
- With your black marker, draw a small black dot ¼” wide for each pupil on each foam ball.
Pro Tip: Cookie Monster has crossed googly eyes that don't sit straight - they’re crooked which show everyone how crazy he is for cookies.
The varieties of Barbie that your little one can dress as this year is pretty much bottomless. So here’s one to spark your costuming.
- Pink kids outfit
- Pink satin fabric
- Blue vinyl
- Hem tape
- Hot glue
- Cut satin fabric into a long sash style strip.
- Fold and seal satin edges using hem tape. Fold sash in half and trim the bottom edge at an angle.
- Connect the two ends together using heat bonded hem tape to form a seam.
- Cut “President” letters out of blue vinyl and iron onto sash.
Alvin & the Chipmunks
What’s better than one of your babes in costume? If you’ve got three… all of them in outfits that play together, and take on characters of chipmunks, of course. This one’s oh so simple, and will keep you giggling for weeks. This one is as simple as it sounds, and when these three chipmunks show up together to trick or treat, you know the candy giver is going to load up on nuts to please this trio.
- Double sided fabric tape
- Cut out a large letter “A” from yellow felt and attach to the baby top or hoodie with double sided fabric tape.
- Add the red baseball cap, and Alvin is set.
- Pair the blue top or hoodie and black bottom with circle frame glasses.
Pro Tip: Old sunglasses laying around? Pop out the lenses and put them to work.
- Dress your babe in the green top and black bottoms.
For more DIY kids Halloween costumes, check out Primary.com
Spooky season is upon us, and it's time to dress your little one up (and yourself too!) Or maybe you're ahead of the game and have the costumes all set, and you're looking for festive things to do. Either way, Partytrick has you covered (in costume). Dress up and try one of these get-togethers by Partytrick:
Membership has its party privileges! Discover your exclusive perks today.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.