Gestation Celebration: The Unconventional Baby Shower
Forget the Baby Shower: Host a Gestation Celebration for the Cheeky Mommy-to-Be in Your Life!
Just because the baby is precious doesn’t mean the party needs to be.
Written by Katiedid Langrock: a professional screenwriter, humor columnist, and author of the Baby Bump Bucket List series.
Pregnancy is a profound, magical, and life-changing time. But it should also be fun! When I was pregnant with my first child, I was surprised by how miserable I felt. It was not just the morning sickness all day for all nine months (though that certainly didn’t help) but also the fact that suddenly my personhood was somehow removed from every conversation. I, a professional comedy writer, was expected to be soft and frilly and coo at the sight of booties.
But that’s not who I was, and that’s not how I felt. I wrote Baby Bump Bucket List, a humorous and lighthearted book, as a gift for moms-to-be so they don’t lose themselves while growing someone new. It’s filled with 40 weeks of outrageous fun, food, pranks, and pampering that you can only get away with while pregnant. Included in its pages is an outline for the raucous and irreverent baby bash my friends threw for me, which I will share with you here. If you’re looking for an antidote to the typical baby shower for a cheeky mommy-to-be, this could be the party for you!
Hey Members: Party like there’s no tomorrow! Dive into your exclusive member perks now.
Everyone! There is no need for this baby jubilee to be a girls-only gathering. A fetus fiesta is for anyone who likes a good time and a bit of naughty humor. Come one, come all to the incubation celebration!
- Pregnant AF invitations are a good way to let people know from the get-go that this ain’t your run-of-the-mill baby shower.
- A music-themed invitation is another way of showing that the party will be hip without giving away the total irreverence of the party.
Let the décor be as outrageous as your activities. This is a party celebrating life! So let’s laugh and play and be a tad naughty. Being a tad naughty is what got the mommy-to-be here in the first place!
- A “knocked up AF” balloon display is sure to bring giggles to the guests.
- Sperm whale paper plates are a subtle (not so subtle?) nod to the swimmers who made this day possible. And paper plates, because no one wants to clean up when they’re pregnant.
- A diaper throne—’cause Mama’s gotta sit. Plus, Mama is gonna need all those diapers, so it’s really the best gift-meets-décor possible.
- Use a diaper garland—or hang real diapers on a clothesline with clothespins.
Keep the food easy and simple. Let the silly labels do the work for you. From a hot dog stand (with a naughty take on the buns) to black bean dip labeled “meconium” and a twist on the traditional king cake, your food can be as bananas as the rest of your baby bonanza.
Stuffable hot dog buns labeled "How it started."
- Have baby-in-belly fruit salad and label it with “How it’s going.”
- Label the black bean dip as “meconium” and add some tortilla chips on the side.
- Get “ready to pop” popcorn.
- Repurpose this recipe for king cake as queen cake. Change out purple and green sprinkles for pink and blue, but definitely keep the little plastic baby inside.
- Make sperm-shaped cookies.
Think ease. You want to be able to enjoy the party, not be running a blender all day. A few glass dispensers and some silly labels are all you need. Don’t forget to provide both alcoholic versions (especially if you want folks participating in the games!) and nonalcoholic versions for our mamas-to-be and friends in solidarity. Just make sure your labels make clear which drinks are alcoholic and which are nonalcoholic.
Label the sangria as “amniotic fluid.”
- Get glass dispensers with labels.
- Label the margarita mocktail with “Uh-oh, my water broke!”
- You can also find 13 other mocktail recipes in my book Baby Bump Body Care.
Typical baby shower games—such as guessing who’s who among baby pictures and sticking candy bars in diapers—are fun times. But this type of fetus festival is meant for mamas who are looking for something a tad wilder.
Note: The active games, such as the water slide and three-legged race, are not meant for the mama-to-be to participate in, just the guests. Let’s keep that gestating gem safe!
- Take a boob piñata and fill the sucker with Milk Duds. Then give a swing at it!
- Dust off your old cornhole set from college and get some new sperm-shaped bean bags for a fun and naughty competition that shows the guests how it all really went down! Sorta.
- Pretend you’re traveling through the birth canal with a long pink waterslide. (For extra points, you can build papier-mâché legs at the end of the water slide as my friends did—inspired by this scene in Patch Adams.)
- Decorate one another’s bellies. Who needs face painting when you’ve got belly painting? This is a great way to get the men at your party involved. Who doesn’t like a little friendly competition? Or…
- Fasten diapers around the ankles of your guests for a baby bash–themed three-legged race.
- Cards Against Pregnancy is a fun indoor game option for the guests who are just as messed up and hilarious as you and the mama-to-be are!
When you’re celebrating a baby bump, you gotta keep the party bumpin’ with some nice beats.
- “Baby Got Back,” by Sir Mix-a-Lot
- “Baby,” by Justin Bieber
- “…Baby One More Time,” by Britney Spears
- “Baby-Baby-Baby,” by TLC
- “All That She Wants,” by Ace of Base
- “Be My Baby,” by The Ronettes
- “Ice Ice Baby,” by Vanilla Ice
For those who want a little quiet time away from the fetus festival or for when the party is winding down, it’s nice to have a television or outdoor screen playing some classics.
- Knocked Up
- Three Men and a Baby
- It’s Alive
- Dirty Dancing—because “no one puts Baby in a corner.”
Ultimately, a Baby Shower is about showering the parents-to-be with presents. This shower may be full of shenanigans, but ultimately, it’s no different. Buy your mama-friend a gift.
- Baby Bump Bucket List. If you thought this party idea was fun, get your buddy this book. It’s full of silly anecdotes and outrageous suggestions on what to do while pregnant. If nothing else, it’s great for a giggle during a time that can be beautiful but is often difficult.
- Pregnancy shirts.
- Everything that’s on your friend’s baby registry. Just because your first-time parent friend is fun doesn’t mean they don’t desperately need a whole bunch of baby stuff. Be a good pal and show the mama-to-be you care with gifts that will actually help when they’re dealing with actual diaper blow-outs.
A baby shower should represent the person having the baby. Have fun! Be playful! Laugh and giggle and get a tad naughty! It’s gonna be a long while before your mama-to-be gets to have some silly fun again. Let’s make this a party to remember so Mama has something to smile about on those long nights ahead. Let the shower shenanigans begin!
About the author
I am a seasoned TV writer, screenwriter, published author, longtime syndicated humor columnist, adjunct professor, television development executive, story coach, and brand spankin' new podcaster. Shows I co-developed were nominated for an Emmy for Best Children's Series, multiple NAACP Image Awards, Webby Awards, and won the 2020 Diversity Media Award for Best Kids' Series. I recently published the Baby Bump Bucket List series—buy it now on Amazon! I look for joy and connection in all that I do.
Join her party: wildliterary.com
For more parties and hosting experiences of all types:
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.