How Stemware Affects the Taste of Champagne
What type of glass to drink champagne in
Champagne, bubbly, sparkling wine, fizz—call it what you like—is a wine that is revered for its unique taste, texture, and being called on in the name of all things celebratory. When drinking champagne, did you know that the glass shape physically affects what we taste? The right glass can indeed enhance champagne’s natural qualities and make drinking it (who knew) even more enjoyable. Let’s explore how different shapes and sizes of stemware have an impact on the champagne experience.
Pro Tip: Party like there’s no tomorrow! Dive into your exclusive member perks now
What stemware is best to drink champagne in?
Here are our top picks (in order)
Pro Tip: The type of champagne makes a major difference in how its stemware impacts it
1. Oregon Pinot Glass or a White Wine Glass
*Depending on what type of champagne you’re drinking
Wide in the middle, narrow at the top
- Drinking champagne from a wider glass helps you experience more of the aromatic spectrum. You want it to be wider in the middle, and slightly narrower at the top.
White wine glass
- Champagne is best drunk from a white wine glass. The wider middle allows the aromas to come through, the narrower top controls the acidity.
Pinot noir glass for sparkling rosé
- Sparkling rosé is best from a Pinot Noir glass, and we specifically love an Oregon Pinot glass. The predominant grape in Rosé is Pinot Noir.
2. Tulip Glass
A tulip glass is essentially an upgraded champagne flute. The top curves in, and it’s better than a flute at funneling the champagne’s aroma toward the drinker’s nose.
- It keeps bubbles in, while trapping aromas. Talk about a multi-tasker. If you’re drinking a good champagne, you won’t fully taste or smell it. When you are drinking from a flute, you’re drinking, not savoring.
- Not every sparkling wine is meant to stand up to scrutiny. If you opt for a budget bottle or most cava, prosecco, or crémant, or if you are serving a group and need to preserve the carbonation for a longer period of time, a narrow champagne flute is a perfect choice. They’re classic and festive, great for a party.
- With the wide mouth of a coupe glass, champagne loses its carbonation very quickly and the aroma escapes too easily.
- The lack of depth means the bubbles are concentrated in the center, so they move slower, with less bursting at the rim.
- Coupes undoubtedly have that great “Gatsby” look, but for champagnes of today, which are more dry than sweet, a coupe is not the best choice.
All this said, the stemware you decide on depends on the occasion! Whichever option you choose should match the mood of the event, and ultimately how you want things to look.
Psst, looking to drink something other than champagne? Check out Our Top Mocktails to Make. Try any of these stemware recommendations and have yourself a stem-tasting party.
Pair with the following gatherings by Partytrick:
Membership has its party privileges! Discover your exclusive perks today
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.