All the items you need to throw your best party yet
The motherlode, your go-to, your bff, your hosting bible, so to speak
Ok party people! Lights, camera, action - your party is about to begin. As a party hostess, don’t you just wish you had a party checklist for all the items you need? Complete with your party shopping list. Well, we didn’t even wait for you to ask. We decided to deliver. This is our end-all-be-all checklist for all things party planning. Proceed with excitement.
If you’ve chosen a themed party (which we love so very much) this section will be quite expansive. But that’s the whole point of a theme, right? Below are the decor *essentials*.
- Flowers and vases
- Candles: tapers, pillars, tea candles, bathroom candles
- Hurricanes, votives, or candlesticks
- Lighter or matches
We recommend 1 or 2 extras of each, as slippery fingers or unexpected guests have been known to happen (we’ve got you covered, so no need to sweat!)
- Cocktail napkins
- Dinner napkins
- Skewers for hors d’oeuvres
- Serviceware: ie platters, bowls, serving spoons, etc. depending on what your menu calls for
- Salad and dinner plates (which can be combined if necessary) and bowls, if your menu requires
- Utensils: Salad fork, dinner fork, spoon, and knife for each guest
- Water glasses
- Wine glasses
- Carafes for pre-batched cocktails and water
- Extra service spoons and/or tongs (in general, always helpful)
- Enough chairs for all guests
- Wine and bottle openers
Other (but necessary) things
They may not be categorized but do not skip these ones—major assets here.
- Paper towels
- Cleaning supplies
- Speaker system
- Extra hangers for guest coats or bags
- Printer - for menus, signage, etc.
- Appropriate paper for menus and place cards if applicable
While they didn’t quite make the varsity list, these JV players do have some skin in the game if you want to broaden your party supply portfolio.
- Additional linens, like placemats or table runner
- Cocktail glasses
- Charger beneath dinner plate
- Placecard holders, if you’d like to assign seats
- Napkin rings
- Wine bucket and ice scooper
End of list! Print this out (if you still do that these days - which we sort of envy, tbh). Pull it up big on your iPad. Make it your screensaver. Copy and paste it into Asana. Whatever you need to do to see this party checklist before your big day. Check ‘em off and have yourself a ball!
Looking for more party planning hacks? A few of our top recommendations and how-tos, just for you:
Psst… we have thrown a party (or 100, give or take) in our time. So, as you peruse our party checklist and wonder what sort of specific items we like, feel free to hop over to Our Favorite Things for our top recommendations as you shop for your party. Enjoy!
Dinner for Two
A romantic night in with your Valentine.
A gender-neutral baby shower down on the Savanna.
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Embrace the funny, nostalgic, and romantic moments that come with a solid movie night with your pals. Make this a cozy night in with yummy apps and classy drinks.
Our take on an evening rolling your own sushi, sipping tea and sake, and basking in a serene setting inspired by Japan.
Throw on those argyle sweaters and ski bunny puffers to enjoy some cocktails that rival a black diamond. This is a late night cocktail party sure to impress.
A special brunch to celebrate Valentine's Day with the lovely ladies in your life.
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.