8 Women to Dress Up As for Your Next Costume Party
Ideas of what to wear to a Girl Power themed party
It's more than pink.
Celebrating girl power is the perfect opportunity to channel your inner girl boss—what better way to do so than in costume? Whether you dress up as your favorite historical figure or fictional character, make sure your costume leaves a lasting impression. If you need some inspiration, take a cue from our favorite costume party guests. These easy women's costume ideas will take your party to the next level. Power up, girl power.
1. Elle Woods: For the ultimate in girl power, look no further than Elle Woods from Legally Blonde. All you'll need is a pink cardigan, a pair of khakis, and some blonde highlights (if you don't already have them). Don't forget the (girly) briefcase and "bend and snap!" Bonus points if Bruiser (your pet chihuahua) fits in your pink handbag.
2. Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Finally, for all the history buffs out there, we suggest dressing up as Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. All you need is a black robe (or any long black garment) and a gavel or any small hammer. If you want to get extra fancy, try adding some fake eyeglasses or reading glasses into the mix.
3. Mia Hamm: For the sporty ladies out there, we suggest going as legendary soccer player Mia Hamm. All you'll need is a USA soccer jersey, some black shorts, and knee socks. Nike sneakers are optional but encouraged.
4. Mrs. Claus: 'Tis the season for all things holiday, so why not dress up as everyone's favorite Christmas character? Mrs. Claus is easy to DIY—just find yourself a red or green dress and some white gloves. Complete the look with a Santa hat. Be everyone's favorite guests when you show up with fresh milk and cookies.
5. Abby Wambach: Another great option for the sports fans among us is Olympic gold medalist Abby Wambach. You'll need a USA soccer jersey (again), soccer cleats, and shorts or leggings. A headband is optional but definitely recommended. And don't forget to bring your A-game—this costume is sure to win a gold medal.
6. Oprah: What list would be complete without Oprah Winfrey? For this costume, you'll need a wig (preferably with big curls), glasses, and pearls. A brightly colored dress is optional but definitely encouraged—after all, it is Oprah we're talking about.
7. Hermione Granger: Harry Potter fans rejoice. Dressing up as Hermione Granger is not only easy but also sure to impress your friends (if they're Potterheads too). All you need is a Hogwarts robe, tie, and sweater combo plus some round spectacles. For extra credit, since we know Hermione would've earned it, try memorizing one of Hermione's famous spells. Make sure to not paint your nose too brown this one…
8. Alexis Rose: If you're looking for a costume that's both funny and stylish, consider dressing up as Alexis Rose from Schitt's Creek. You'll need a pink blazer, a bow tie, and an over-the-top wig (you're spot on if it's bedazzled). And don't forget to practice your affected British accent... "David!"
No matter who you choose to dress up as, we hope you have fun doing it. Dig into your character and draw out the parts of you that you've wanted to bring out. Sometimes a costume helps us do just that. And don't forget to take plenty of pictures—this is sure to be a party that everyone will be talking about for years to come.
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.