8 Women to Dress Up As for Your Next Costume Party
Ideas of what to wear to a Girl Power themed party
It's more than pink.
Celebrating girl power is the perfect opportunity to channel your inner girl boss—what better way to do so than in costume? Whether you dress up as your favorite historical figure or fictional character, make sure your costume leaves a lasting impression. If you need some inspiration, take a cue from our favorite costume party guests. These easy women's costume ideas will take your party to the next level. Power up, girl power.
1. Elle Woods: For the ultimate in girl power, look no further than Elle Woods from Legally Blonde. All you'll need is a pink cardigan, a pair of khakis, and some blonde highlights (if you don't already have them). Don't forget the (girly) briefcase and "bend and snap!" Bonus points if Bruiser (your pet chihuahua) fits in your pink handbag.
2. Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Finally, for all the history buffs out there, we suggest dressing up as Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. All you need is a black robe (or any long black garment) and a gavel or any small hammer. If you want to get extra fancy, try adding some fake eyeglasses or reading glasses into the mix.
3. Mia Hamm: For the sporty ladies out there, we suggest going as legendary soccer player Mia Hamm. All you'll need is a USA soccer jersey, some black shorts, and knee socks. Nike sneakers are optional but encouraged.
4. Mrs. Claus: 'Tis the season for all things holiday, so why not dress up as everyone's favorite Christmas character? Mrs. Claus is easy to DIY—just find yourself a red or green dress and some white gloves. Complete the look with a Santa hat. Be everyone's favorite guests when you show up with fresh milk and cookies.
5. Abby Wambach: Another great option for the sports fans among us is Olympic gold medalist Abby Wambach. You'll need a USA soccer jersey (again), soccer cleats, and shorts or leggings. A headband is optional but definitely recommended. And don't forget to bring your A-game—this costume is sure to win a gold medal.
6. Oprah: What list would be complete without Oprah Winfrey? For this costume, you'll need a wig (preferably with big curls), glasses, and pearls. A brightly colored dress is optional but definitely encouraged—after all, it is Oprah we're talking about.
7. Hermione Granger: Harry Potter fans rejoice. Dressing up as Hermione Granger is not only easy but also sure to impress your friends (if they're Potterheads too). All you need is a Hogwarts robe, tie, and sweater combo plus some round spectacles. For extra credit, since we know Hermione would've earned it, try memorizing one of Hermione's famous spells. Make sure to not paint your nose too brown this one…
8. Alexis Rose: If you're looking for a costume that's both funny and stylish, consider dressing up as Alexis Rose from Schitt's Creek. You'll need a pink blazer, a bow tie, and an over-the-top wig (you're spot on if it's bedazzled). And don't forget to practice your affected British accent... "David!"
No matter who you choose to dress up as, we hope you have fun doing it. Dig into your character and draw out the parts of you that you've wanted to bring out. Sometimes a costume helps us do just that. And don't forget to take plenty of pictures—this is sure to be a party that everyone will be talking about for years to come.
Cinnamon Spice and All Things Naughty and Nice
A flirty, naughty, not-nice affair. Drink an extra cocktail and you may forget Santa’s bringing you coal this year. Makes a great late-night gathering.
Throw on those argyle sweaters and ski bunny puffers to enjoy some cocktails that rival a black diamond. This is a late night cocktail party sure to impress.
Where a cozy fire and shimmery linens go hand-in-hand to bring to life that perfect winter gathering. Start off the season of 'get togethers' with classic cocktails and a warm, wintry fireplace.
A retro Christmas shindig with all the flair! Bright pops of color, metallic sheen, irresistible dishes and drinks that will make you flip your lid!
(Gingerbread) House Party
Oh Snap! Kids and adults alike will love getting together to build and decorate gingerbread houses to get in the holiday spirit! Playing with your food knows no age.
Fa La La La Festivities
We lean into the red, green, and festive traditions with no shame — just jolly. Plan for cocktails and heavy apps if you're feeling up for this holiday gathering.