Top Oktoberfest Party Ideas
Host a party for Oktoberfest
Bring Bavaria to your backyard
What to do for Oktoberfest 2023: We have you covered (in lederhosen, obviously). But do you know why Oktoberfest started? It all started in honor of celebrating a love story in Germany a long, long time ago. Back in 1810, on October 12th, Kronprinz Ludwig married Princess Therese of Saxe-Hildburghausen. The royal wedding happened in Munich, Germany of course, which is where festivities began. Kronprinz went on to later become King Ludwig I of Bavaria, and it sounds like they lived happily ever after. And we now join in celebrating their love all over the world. Prost, to hosting an Oktoberfest party at home, in your neighborhoods, or wherever this fall finds you.
Hey Members: Party like there’s no tomorrow! Dive into your exclusive member perks now.
Three guesses and two don’t count.
- Beer! Oktoberfest beer!
- ~Hollow out a pumpkin and fill it with ice to make a pumpkin cooler
- Our friends at Brit + Co concocted this Sparkling Pumpkin Cider Beertail and we cannot wait to try it
The beer will need to be absorbed by something, so we recommend you start here.
- ~Here are great recipes from two of our favorites: Ashton Keefe and Half Baked Harvest.
- ~We also won’t tell anybody if you order these instead :)
- ~Or, turn it into a Pretzel Bar!
- Chicken Schnitzel aka German (and adult) chicken nuggets!
- Bratwurst In beer with onions - a familiar German meal with a bit of Midwestern twist
When your friends are running around donning braids and bearing steins, any bystander could identify your party. To take it to the next level, here’s your decor inspo.
Pro Tip: Scatter store bought mini pretzels and stalks of wheat down the table to enhance your tablescape!
- Drinkware: This is one party where the drinkware matters. Here are our suggestions for our favorite Oktoberfest glasses:
- ~Das Boot
- ~Glass beer mugs
- ~Extra points for throwing these in the freezer to create frosted beer glasses!
- Oktoberfest themed drink coozies? Yes please.
- Deck the halls with Oktoberfest banners!
- ~This is a fun and easy DIY! Here’s a great how-to
- ~Bavarian pennant decorations - Amazon
Pro Tip: Maximize your Partytrick membership and save with Member Perks at placed like Bonjour Fete for their Oktoberfest banner
- Go all out with an Oktoberfest tablecloth, or use a runner if you just want a hint of Bavarian flare on your table
- Use these plates to serve everything up
We’d say “attire encouraged” but… we all know it’s more fun if it’s their required ticket at the door. When in… Munich?
- Encourage guests to go all-out with dirndl and lederhosen, or give them the option to come in just a checkered shirt. Either way, use this guide to learn all about the traditional Oktoberfest fashions.
- Some hair inspo to go with every look!
- Oktoberfest nail art
Turn up these festive playlists to prost to:
Besides drink beer and flaunt your lederhosen, you mean? A few themed activities to add a bit of extra fest to the party.
- There are only six breweries that can serve beer at the official Oktoberfest festival. Host a beer tasting with the different types of ales for everybody to try in these glasses!
- Set up an Oktoberfest photobooth with these fun props
We don’t make the Oktoberfest rules, but here are a few games that are sure to get a laugh from your guests… especially after a few pints.
- Masskrugstemmen: a German beer stein holding contest
- Hammerschlagen: a game in which participants drive nails into wood…
- Stein racing: Guests will need to run a designated length and back while carrying a liter stein full of beer without spilling. The person who ends the race with the most beer in their mug is the winner!
So come one, come all, whether your friends are beer drinkers or just looking for a reason to hail in the start of fall and all the festivities it brings. “Ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit”. Apparently it translates somewhat to: “a toast to well-being”. Aka, go have fun and be well.
Party like never before! Dive into your member perks now.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.