How to Decorate a Holiday Mantel
Create the holiday scene you want to jump into
The Mantel: a holder of Christmas stockings, a warm fireplace setting, and a photo opp during the holiday season. We did the math…and our calculations show that it needs to be decorated up to some high social media quality standards. Time to ramp it up with some DIY decor. Let’s make sure your Christmas mantel is the best background yet for your classic matching pajama photo—whether with your S.O. or your trusty canine.
Pick items of the theme below that mesh with your seasonal decorations. Arrange them on the mantel in an orderly, yet amicably relaxed fashion. Channel your inner elf and give it a go.
What you need:
- Garland, or pine boughs from your local Christmas tree farm
- Copper lights
- Wire rimmed ribbon
- Pine cones, real or faux
- Same as above, in the applicable color scheme to your space
- Flocked garland
- White twinkle lights
- Mercury ornaments, or white or iridescent in color
- Candles: tea light and pillar
- Additional glassware
- Pink tinsel garland
- Bottle brush trees: pink, white, and sparkly
- Snowman, of course
Enhancements to any of these ideas:
- Elf on the shelf (perfect for the kiddos)
- Gingerbread houses or Gingerbread Characters (homemade if you’re a true Christmas fanatic)
How to arrange:
- Spread garland across the length of the mantel.
- Loop twinkle lights through the garland loosely. Secure by tucking around and looping through branches.
- Thread wire rimmed ribbon through the garland with an easy flow.
- Arrange candles: Set pillars at different levels on the mantel by hiding books under the garland to create for height changes.
- Place ornament balls, trees, etc throughout the length of the garland.
- Disperse pine cones and final accessories along the garland.
Use the hidden book trick anywhere needed to add the element of height change. You know that family heirloom snowman wants his moment to shine. Just don’t let him melt.
Holiday mantel: complete. Check that off your (nice) list. Now your elf has a great place to call home. Your fire can be proud to flicker here. You’ve created the picture-esque nook to read your holiday novel. So get to enjoying it.
Cinnamon Spice and All Things Naughty and Nice
A flirty, naughty, not-nice affair. Drink an extra cocktail and you may forget Santa’s bringing you coal this year. Makes a great late-night gathering.
Fa La La La Festivities
We lean into the red, green, and festive traditions with no shame — just jolly. Plan for cocktails and heavy apps if you're feeling up for this holiday gathering.
Where a cozy fire and shimmery linens go hand-in-hand to bring to life that perfect winter gathering. Start off the season of 'get togethers' with classic cocktails and a warm, wintry fireplace.
A retro Christmas shindig with all the flair! Bright pops of color, metallic sheen, irresistible dishes and drinks that will make you flip your lid!
Throw on those argyle sweaters and ski bunny puffers to enjoy some cocktails that rival a black diamond. This is a late night cocktail party sure to impress.
(Gingerbread) House Party
Oh Snap! Kids and adults alike will love getting together to build and decorate gingerbread houses to get in the holiday spirit! Playing with your food knows no age.