How to Decorate a Holiday Mantel
Create the holiday scene you want to jump into
The Mantel: a holder of Christmas stockings, a warm fireplace setting, and a photo opp during the holiday season. We did the math…and our calculations show that it needs to be decorated up to some high social media quality standards. Time to ramp it up with some DIY decor. Let’s make sure your Christmas mantel is the best background yet for your classic matching pajama photo—whether with your S.O. or your trusty canine.
Pick items of the theme below that mesh with your seasonal decorations. Arrange them on the mantel in an orderly, yet amicably relaxed fashion. Channel your inner elf and give it a go.
What you need:
- Garland, or pine boughs from your local Christmas tree farm
- Copper lights
- Wire rimmed ribbon
- Pine cones, real or faux
- Same as above, in the applicable color scheme to your space
- Flocked garland
- White twinkle lights
- Mercury ornaments, or white or iridescent in color
- Candles: tea light and pillar
- Additional glassware
- Pink tinsel garland
- Bottle brush trees: pink, white, and sparkly
- Snowman, of course
Enhancements to any of these ideas:
- Elf on the shelf (perfect for the kiddos)
- Gingerbread houses or Gingerbread Characters (homemade if you’re a true Christmas fanatic)
How to arrange:
- Spread garland across the length of the mantel.
- Loop twinkle lights through the garland loosely. Secure by tucking around and looping through branches.
- Thread wire rimmed ribbon through the garland with an easy flow.
- Arrange candles: Set pillars at different levels on the mantel by hiding books under the garland to create for height changes.
- Place ornament balls, trees, etc throughout the length of the garland.
- Disperse pine cones and final accessories along the garland.
Use the hidden book trick anywhere needed to add the element of height change. You know that family heirloom snowman wants his moment to shine. Just don’t let him melt.
Holiday mantel: complete. Check that off your (nice) list. Now your elf has a great place to call home. Your fire can be proud to flicker here. You’ve created the picture-esque nook to read your holiday novel. So get to enjoying it.
Whether you’re doing all the cooking yourself or asking guests to bring dishes (we love a potluck moment!), we’ve got all the inspiration you need to host a delicious, delightful Easter supper.
A Wee Little St. Patrick’s Day
Try your luck at a kid-friendly St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Embrace all the joys of Irish fare and festivity in a way that is fun for people of all ages.
Wellness Retreat At Home
Transport yourself (and your besties) to a zen retreat to restore, realign and rejuvenate, in the comfort of your home.
Luck of the Irish
This St. Patrick's Day celebration will leave all your guests feeling lucky.
Chag Pesach sameach! We’ve got a Seder dinner plan with classic + modern Jewish foods, drinks, and traditions – so much fun you’ll want to host Seder every year (or until it’s finally next year in Jerusalem).
Somebunny Needs a Mimosa
Spring has sprung! Put on your pretty pastels for a joyous brunch that’s fit for a family. Easter egg hunt, a scrumptious spread, and bubbly beverages, what more could you ask for?
Unicorns Are Real
Welcome to the party where every kiddo feels extra-special and dreams come true!
Ways to Entertain Kids During Passover
Host a Watch Party: Succession Premiere
Host a Watch Party: Love Is Blind Premiere
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.