What To Do With Extra Guests
How to account for uninvited guests
You are cool and oh so collected
The hostess with the mostest… well that is, until you learn that a few “extra friends” are on their way in 10. Inside you freeze—but then you remember that you are ultra ready with extras of everything, you’re welcome. ;) Being prepared is the second best thing a hostess can have, the first being a warm smile… of course.
Here are a few tips on how to be prepared while also still enjoying the party you planned.
What To Do:
Brunch or Sit-Down Dinner
- Have extra place settings, plates, and glassware on hand. Keep these stowed on a counter nearby so you can easily grab them in case they are needed.
- Bonus: if no one else comes, you’re prepared if last minute breakage from a rowdy guess occurs.
- Keep a bench nearby, against a wall, or in the next room, to add in place of chairs (or in addition to), to provide more seating.
- One must always make extra treats (to enjoy for yourself afterward, of course). On the chance that extra guests show up, you are prepared to satisfy their sweet teeth. Bonus, you’ll have less meal prep for the week ahead if you have your “extras” as items that you’ll enjoy and that don’t spoil quickly (ie. have a large crudite platter vs a large platter of deviled eggs).
Outdoor BBQ Gathering
- Keep extra water bottles and/or sparkling water on hand, ideally. When people are outside, they’re likely to drink more, and it’s nice to be able to reach for something beyond alcohol.
- Extra disposable plates, flatware, and cups should be handy!
- Prepare food that you can enjoy later in the week “in case” those pesky add-ons arrive. If they don’t then you will have less meal prep for the week ahead! Think more cut and washed veggies, apples, and/or items like chicken that you can turn into soups, pot-pies, etc.
- Ice: you can’t really have too much. Calculate how much you should have to begin with.
- Extra bug spray and the like. We’re all about being prepped for hosting outdoors.
- Most importantly: Have extra glassware on hand. Think of mixing up the style of glass your guests hold, and you don’t need to be concerned with stocking up on extras of a certain set. Stemless. Wide-rimmed. Tumbler. Flute or martini. Deep or shallow. Red or white. Simple or designed. The more varieties you get out there, the more fun the party is, right?
- Expect each guest to consume two drinks in the first hour, and one for each hour after. Tally up your guest count, and add a few more just in case. Check how to know how much wine to buy…and apply as a guide for cocktails where needed.
- Juice, liquor, mixers, tonic water, and sparkling water are all beverages to have on hand. Party style we love? Invite everyone to bring their liquor of choice—and you’ll provide the fixings centric to the season at hand.
- Extra ice, always.
- If serving snacks, desserts, or a fancy charcuterie board, have more ingredients in the fridge to replenish.
Our Go-To List of Things to Have on Hand at Any Party:
- Trash bags
- Place settings
- Bench and/or chairs
- Extra food and drinks
- Hand soap
- Toilet paper (the poor guest to follow the last roll…you know how it feels)
- Extra party favors if handing those out
Let us make note of this first: When the unexpected neighbor or the despised cousin shows up unannounced, take a deep breath and be kind. (Also, does this happen often in reality?) Easier said than done, but drama is far more exhausting than turning them away. Let them in and continue the gathering. Deal with anything necessary after, once all the invited guests are gone. Ultimately, think ahead and be prepared for a few extra people. But don’t break your back trying to accommodate everyone.
On another note…
Imagine if Harry Styles showed up to a Taylor Swift event. We’d definitely let him stay. The amount of songs that would be produced from this unexpected guest are unfathomable. You never know what will happen if you decide to enjoy the guest. Perhaps an uninvited guest or two is far from the end of the world.
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.