How to Build a Cute Tent
Camp themed party…or “keep kids busy over summer break”
An easy DIY way to build a tent at home
We started to ask, ‘What is it with kids and tents?’ But we stopped ourselves - because tents are just great, no matter your age. They make you feel like you’re suddenly in another land, and the possibilities are endless. So whether you’re hosting a campfire themed kids party, keeping your kids entertained at a slumber party, or just switching up a summer night at home, see our tricks for building a tent your kids won’t want to get out of. Oh darn…
What you need:
- Fabric scissors
- 3 yards of canvas or outdoor fabric (try Hancock Fabrics or Joanne's)
- 1 Roll of Stitch Witchery
- Tape measure
- Drill with 3/4" bit
- (3) wooden dowels: 3/4" x 48"
- (4) wood boards: 1" x 1.5" x 48”
Prep the fabric:
- Trim fabric to 44" wide.
- With iron and Stitch Witchery, ‘hem’ the rough edge of the fabric.
- Form the first pocket for the dowel: fold the top of the fabric width-wise to create a pocket 3” wide. Seal the pocket with Stitch Witchery and iron.
- Slide the pocket through the bottom dowel on your frame. Tug the fabric taut over the top dowel down to the other bottom dowel. Measure where the next pocket will need to be adhered to make a 3" pocket.
- Remove the fabric cover and use Stitch Witchery to secure the second pocket.
Prep the frame:
- On each wood board, measure 6” down and mark the center.
- Drill a 3/4" hole at the mark on all four boards.
- On the other end of the board, measure 1.5” up from bottom.
- Drill a 3/4" hole at this mark on all four boards.
Assemble the tent:
- Thread the dowels through the board’s drilled holes to create an ‘A’ shape.
- Check that the side of the board with holes ½” from the bottom faces the bottom of the frame.
- If it’s difficult to fit the dowel through the holes, use sandpaper to smooth out the inside of the holes.
- Add fabric cover: drape fabric over top dowel; thread bottom dowels through both pockets.
So get your supplies together and get ready for the coolest parent ever award. If you have trouble getting your kids to leave the tent, well… you can’t say we didn’t warn you!
On the other hand, if you’d rather purchase than build (no judgment here), try one of these darling options:
If you need more tricks to entertain your kids for hours, join the party.
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.