How to Set Up a Hot Cocoa Bar
Holiday party hosting hack you must do in 2022
A wintertime must-have
Grab a blanket, your favorite mug, and some mini marshmallows because it’s the season for hot cocoa. But make it #posh edition. Negroni, sbagliato, if you will, in the form of hot chocolate. To set up for your holiday party or Christmas movie night, you need a hot cocoa bar for you and your guests to savor. Jot down these ideas for setting up the ideal sweet treat featuring a hot chocolate bar that people won’t get enough of.
What you need:
- Electric tea kettle
- Serving tray: We love this wood tray or a three-tiered tray
- Small serving spoons
- Labels: Chalkboard signs or Kraft paper tags
- Mason jars
- Spice shakers
- Hot cocoa mix (or you can always go ‘clean’ with cacao, milk, and sugar)
- Hot cocoa bombs: An additive special for melting in hot cocoa
- Disposable cups and holiday sleeves (festive sleeves, yes please)
Hosting Hack: We like disposable cups so you don’t have a million mugs to wash when the party’s over. However… see next hosting hack.
Hosting Hack II: Invite guests to bring their favorite mugs…it gives them a sense of involvement and something to look forward to. Plus, don’t we all have a story or sentiment about our favorite mug? Just us? Okay…moving forward.
Besides the basics, we know what truly matters are the topping options.
- Shaved chocolate
- Whipped cream
- Peppermint sticks/candy canes
- Peppermint crumbles/ crushed peppermint
- Cayenne pepper
- Marshmallows (all sizes and flavors are welcome, we’re inclusive here)
- Pirouette sticks
- Chocolate sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Peppermint rumchata/peppermint liqueur
How To Set It Up
- Write labels for the toppings: It’s decorative, and helps so you don’t have guests asking you what everything is.
- Tie red and white twine around the rim of mason jars. Secure with long tails to give them flair.
- Arrange your label tags.
- Choose if you want labels to be attached as tags on mason jars, or to sit in front of each jar.
- If attaching label tags to jars, tie bows to secure tags around the rim as well.
- If not attaching, you’ll set labels accordingly once all jars are arranged.
- Fill glass mason jars with toppings that make sense like chocolate sauce, marshmallows, peppermint sticks, etc. Keep whipped cream in its canister if you like the swirl effect, and Bailey’s just tastes better when you can see the label.
- Drop cinnamon and cayenne pepper into spice shakers. *Be sure to label these!* A spicy surprise no one wants…
- Make sure every jar has a serving spoon.
- Arrange bottles of egg nog, Bailey’s etc into the layout of mason jars.
- Stack cups or mugs and scatter sleeves tastefully (yes, to match your hot cocoa that will also be…tasty)
- Keep a larger jar of hot cocoa mix on hand so there’s enough to go around (and go back for a second, or third cup…but who’s counting?)
- When it comes to game time - I mean party time - heat up your electric kettle and let the cocoa be poured.
Just like that, your hot cocoa bar is steamin'.
Vanilla Ice may have made it big when his single “Ice Ice Baby” dropped in 1990, but hot cocoa is here to make a comeback when you have a bar set-up styled like this. Did we say it? Oh yes we did. 2022: May it be the holiday season of hot cocoa hitting the charts.
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Coastal Caviar Clambake
The Caviar Co. quintessential summer evening filled with seafood, hydrangeas and the glow of the firepit.
Unicorns Are Real
Welcome to the party where every kiddo feels extra-special and dreams come true!
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Rosh Hashanah Dinner
Shana Tova! Host family and friends to celebrate Rosh Hashanah with sweet fall flavors and decor. A mix of classic and contemporary dishes and drinks your guests will rave about all year long.
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Girls Just Want to Have Caviar and Martinis
The Caviar Co. inspired caviar, martinis, gal pals, games, great music… the perfect girls night in.
Dragons Love Tacos
A birthday party chock full of tacos, dragons, and adorable tributes to the NY Bestselling picture book, “Dragons Love Tacos,” by Adam Rubin and Daniel Salmieri.
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.