Tips For Storing & Organizing Party Hosting Supplies
How to sort and store decor: Post-party planning
…And it’s time to clean up (boo). So where do all the holiday decorations and supplies you spent time foraging for months ago go now? How do you remove sorting seasonal decor from next year's party planning checklist? What about untangling the string lights—is that ever coming into season? How do you organize decorations so you can find them next year? This is why you need a system. A wise man once said:
“A good system shortens the road to the goal.”
(Thanks Mr. Ralph Waldo Emerson. We have goals of poetry in the new year, ok?)
- Your goal: Hosting the most aesthetic event for every theme
- The road: Finding supplies and the right decorations from wherever they’ve been hiding in your home for the past year (or more)
A system for storing and organizing your party supplies will ease the burden of the setup and tear down. Here’s how to do it.
What you need:
It’s helpful to sort through your items prior to buying your organizational goods. This way, you can better ballpark how many large tubs you’ll be needing.
- Labels: Lots and lots of these
- Organizational tubs: We recommend clear—making it easier to see what you’re looking for
- ~ This brand offers multiple sizes of the same style, so they stack easily and hold up for years
Pro Tip: Try to get the same size and brand OR the same brand and style that stack easily! You’ll thank us later.
- Small baskets: For items that may need to be accessed regularly
How to organize decor
1. Sort supplies by theme if you have items specific to certain events.
- i.e. Holiday, disco, halloween, sushi—if you got really into our Sushi Night
2. Sort other supplies based on colors (this is oh so satisfying).
- i.e. All blue balloons, streamers, and napkins etc in one tub
3. Sort supplies that will be used throughout the year into smaller baskets.
- i.e. Items like utensils, champagne flutes, carafes, or versatile tablecloths (your neutral colored ones)
- These baskets are easier to haul out and put back in place.
- Separate these so you can snag them with ease all year round.
4. Group supplies into containers as you see fit.
5. Before stacking, think seasonally.
- If it’s about to be the New Year, make that tub easily accessible at the top of the stack. Place your Valentine’s tub below it, then St. Patrick’s day.
- When it’s time to put the New Year’s beads and glitter away, put the New Year’s box at the bottom of the stack. This way, you’re always ready for next season’s supplies at the top.
6. Label the containers by season or color.
- Labeling by color is only necessary if not obvious.
- If it helps you to label with more description, add details i.e. "streamers, table decor, backdrops," etc.
7. Store the bins together and stow them away.
- Dedicate a party supply section in part of your garage, guest bedroom closet, or linen closet.
Everyone’s brain works a little differently, so if you find a categorization technique that feels better for you, fire away. The key is to get your party supplies out of random junk drawers and into tubs you can count on. A one stop shop for all your needs will be the difference between two major meltdowns (one for setup and one for clean up) and none. Happiest of sorting to you
Inspired by warm cider, crackling fireplaces, the crisp autumn air, and eating in candlelight. Plan this late night party to warm up the season with seasonal apps and spiced drinks.
Cozy Book Club
Cozy up with brunch, books, and besties for this Book Club Brunch. It’s sure to be a bestseller with your guests.
Holiday Hosting with Heather Taylor Home
Get ready to host a festive holiday party a la Heather Taylor Home. Embrace the cozy charm of the season with some of her favorite hosting products, recipes, tips, and tricks!
Diwali Party: Festival of Lights
Bright lights, florals, and connections – everything you need to host a happy, safe, and blessed Diwali celebration.
We did it! We found something your whole family can agree on: this Thanksgiving gathering is fantastic. Let this guide your holiday hosting and make your family proud.
Inspired by the easy comfort of brunch with best friends: full plates, tall drinks, and big laughs. This brunch is perfect for celebrations like birthdays, showers, and, just because.
Miami Bachelorette Party
Pack your bags ladies.... because it’s time to celebrate the future Mrs. in perfect Miami style! The vibes and vices are high, literally, for this Miami Vice-themed affair. This weekend is all about bright colors, good times, and your bridal bffs. Cheers to a weekend you won’t forget!
Embrace the vintage feel of a classic football game for the biggest field goal fans. A true touchdown for this midday outdoor gathering.
Everyone's favorite excuse for two Thanksgiving dinners but it always hits differently with your chosen fam. Serve it up family-style or make it a potluck (or, do both!).
Famous Couples Soirée
Grab your better half (or your bestie) and pair up as an iconic duo for this chic and moody Halloween party!
We'll make sure you stock up on way more than marshmallows. Keep this casual as an everyday backyard BBQ or, turn it into cocktail hour.
Cozy, delicious, nostalgic — we capture all those fall feels with our harvest party. Bring in the new season with a get-together that relishes drinks and time with friends.
Take your guess, boy or girl? You’ll find out soon at the sweetest gender reveal featuring Art of Sucre's Gender Reveal Glitter Bombs. Nosh on delicious pastries or a light lunch while mingling with friends and family all while celebrating your little loved one to-be.
Embrace the fall season with good ol' fashioned fun: a little country, totally stylish, and tons of sweet treats. Make this a casual picnic or dress things up with dinner.
Yom Kippur Break Fast
End Yom Kippur by breaking your meaningful fast with friends and family, all-white + understated decorations, and a bountiful menu whether you’re a bagel or dumplings home.
Tacos are best any night of the week. Plan a festive dinner party and relax, knowing that you can't go wrong when tacos and margs are involved. This fiesta is sure to satisfy.
Spooky, sexy, sassy, oh my! The season of costumes is finally here — will you be a trick or a treat? A chilling gathering riddled with ghoulish apps and cauldrons of cocktails.
Get in that spooky season spirit by gathering the crew to carve pumpkins. Sharpen your knives, it's time to carve!
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.