Halloween DIY Decor: Glue Gun Edition
“This [decorating] is halloween, this is halloween”
What your elementary art teacher never taught you
Decorating a spooky adult Halloween party can be done completely yourself with things you might not expect. That’s right, you don’t have to purchase premade decor to set up a Halloween party—on a budget, too. As terrifying a task as this may seem, using a blood red hot glue gun can do the trick (or treat). Here are a few ways to use hot glue to bloody up your crime—we mean party—scene.
- Hot glue gun
- Clear hot glue sticks
- Red hot glue sticks
- Black round placemats (green or orange work as well if in the scheme of your party)
- Google or print out a spider web shape to visualize your ideal end product shape.
- On your placemat, use a hot glue gun to line a spider web shape.
- Make lines with the glue gun from the outer edge straight to the center of the placemat. Space out several lines going from the outside to the middle.
- Draw glue lines in between these, from the outside to the center; don’t worry about the lines being perfectly straight, the web looks more authentic when slightly curved. Do a few between each line, leaving space between each.
- Repeat the process to create a web perfect for a spider to perch upon.
Additional supplies: taper candles
- To give a dripping effect using red hot glue, take the glue gun from the top edge of the candle and drag it down to a desired length.
- Repeat this process all around the candle.
- Drag the hot glue to different lengths each time to give an oozing bloody drip look.
Bloody mason jars
Additional supplies: mason jars
- Using the same method as dripping candles, red hot glue can run from the top edge of a mason jar to drip down the side.
- Repeat all along the upper outside rim of the jar.
- Add some gummy eyeballs inside or some candy that resembles brains to fill the jar. A simple clever way to make a standard food jar pass the spook-o-meter.
The design options are endless…
Hot glue the shape of your dreams (or nightmares)
Additional supplies: cotton pad, vegetable oil, paint or nail polish
- Draw any shape on a piece of paper in pencil (skull, spider, blood splatter, etc.).
- Spread vegetable oil using fingers or a cotton pad on the paper to keep the hot glue from sticking to it.
- Form the desired shape with the hot glue inside the traced design on paper.
- Use acrylic paint or nail polish to paint the shape.
These are just a few ideas; you’re limited only to your imagination when using hot glue. Who would’ve thought? Hot glue: the Halloween decor lifesaver. Or cold-blooded killer… this is Halloween, after all.
For more Halloween decor ideas, check these out:
- How to Make Halloween Puff Paint Spiderwebs
- How to DIY Crystal Ball for Halloween
- How to Make Custom Ice Cubes - fill them with mini plastic spiders...spookify your drinks!
Wellness Retreat At Home
Transport yourself (and your besties) to a zen retreat to restore, realign and rejuvenate, in the comfort of your home.
Unicorns Are Real
Welcome to the party where every kiddo feels extra-special and dreams come true!
Chag Pesach sameach! We’ve got a Seder dinner plan with classic + modern Jewish foods, drinks, and traditions – so much fun you’ll want to host Seder every year (or until it’s finally next year in Jerusalem).
Whether you’re doing all the cooking yourself or asking guests to bring dishes (we love a potluck moment!), we’ve got all the inspiration you need to host a delicious, delightful Easter supper.
Somebunny Needs a Mimosa
Spring has sprung! Put on your pretty pastels for a joyous brunch that’s fit for a family. Easter egg hunt, a scrumptious spread, and bubbly beverages, what more could you ask for?
Luck of the Irish
This St. Patrick's Day celebration will leave all your guests feeling lucky.
A Wee Little St. Patrick’s Day
Try your luck at a kid-friendly St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Embrace all the joys of Irish fare and festivity in a way that is fun for people of all ages.
Ways to Entertain Kids During Passover
Host a Watch Party: Succession Premiere
Host a Watch Party: Love Is Blind Premiere
Get Ready to Sparkle
Expert tips, exclusive content, and the 411 on the latest parties
Thank you for your submission!
Start the party
For each party, our professional event planners have curated, styled, schemed, and planned so we can hand over everything you need to know to throw incredible gatherings.